2. Wear proper fitting underwear. The look you're going for is seamless - no ill-fitting bras that leave back fat spilling over in bulging rolls, and try on a slip. Look for wardrobe pieces featuring extra firm tummy control (fashion brands Victoria's secret and Spanx are a favourite) that smooths bulges while lifting the bosom and behind.
3. Wear long, fitting shirts. These are flattering to everybody since they seem to stretch out your torso. They should fit to flatter your body type, but please, don't immediately dash to the nearest Abercrombie and Fitch. Their shirts are too snug if you're worried about looking thinner.
4. Choose the colors carefully. Avoid bright colors and patterns; they instantly make you look bigger than you are! Dark colors make your heavy sections look small. Are you top heavy? That means switching to dark colored tops.
Also, avoid horizontal stripes; these accentuate your girth! If you are bottom heavy, go for darker pants, skirts, or jeans to slim down your bottoms and legs. Finally, avoid "baggy" clothing, and wear stuff that fits you closely. Stella McCartney's two-toned dress was such a hit on the red carpet this season. Liv Tyler and Kate Winslet were both well aware that the silhouette-extending vertical panels and curved side seams made their waists look minuscle.
5. Match your shoes to your build. If you are short and heavy, a pair of understated platform clogs or boots can give you height, and also counterbalance your body size. If you are tall and heavy, a pair of dark colored flats or low heel pumps will make your feet look smaller without making you even taller. Avoid slender heels and sharp pointy toes; they will look small on you, and accentuate your size.
6. Wear your hair and makeup in a flattering way. People will be too distracted by your beautiful face to care about everything else.
7. Avoid the "I'm so fat" conversations. Most everybody has been involved in one of these and they only bring you down. You are most likely NOT fat. Most people don't care as much as you think they do because they are caught up in themselves.
Flaunt your body the way it is. If it helps, make a list of all the people who love you and all the things you love about yourself. You first must love yourself before you love others. Confidence is key.